We are looking for a detail-oriented individual to join our Circulation team providing friendly, high quality customer service at our busy Main Library location. You will be responsible for providing customer assistance in person and via phone, checking library materials in and out, answering questions about library accounts and directing customer questions to the appropriate departments.
Please refer to the job description and schedule below for more details about this opportunity.
Participates in the operation of a full-service circulation desk. Responds to patron questions regarding library services and directs patrons to appropriate departments as needed.
- Provides patron assistance; monitors and provides guidance to patrons in the use of the library facilities and services. Instructs patrons on the use of the computer-based library catalog.
- Provides patron assistance with circulation of materials.
- Responds to general questions and specific questions relating to library accounts, including collections.
- Contacts patrons regarding circulation and materials issues.
- Empties book drops and organizes materials.
- Maintains reserved items.
- Identifies materials in need of repair/replacement and takes appropriate action.
- Conducts item searches as assigned.
- May train new staff members as assigned.
- Serves on library committees as assigned.
- Follows library safety and emergency procedures.
- Reports maintenance and safety issues to supervisor and/or Facilities personnel.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Effective customer service and interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate verbally and in writing in English.
- Competent in the use of Windows-based computer programs.
- Knowledge of library policies, practices and procedures preferred.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma required.
- Some college coursework or Associate’s degree preferred.
- Work experience in a library preferred.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
- Considerable mobility including, but not limited to, extensive periods of walking, bending, sitting, lifting weights up to 20 pounds, and pushing full book carts.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to perform general typing and computer skills.
- Calm and focused handling of interruptions and distractions.
- Periodic intense concentration and sustained viewing of a computer monitor.
Part-time; Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays 9:30-1:30 pm, Fridays 10-2 pm and every other weekend: Saturday 11-3 pm and Sunday 1-5 pm
$ 10.58 per hour minimum starting rate of pay
If you do not have an updated resume, you may download and print an employment application. Completed applications can be dropped off or mailed to any of our UAPL library locations.