Do you like helping people find good books and new authors? Do you enjoy learning and helping others continue their education? Our Adult Services Department is seeking a detail-oriented individual with strong customer service skills. Please refer to the job description and schedule below for more details about this opportunity.
Responds to patron questions regarding library services and library materials in all formats in the assigned department. Assists in maintaining collection, assists with special services and programming.
- Provides patron assistance; monitors and provides guidance to patrons in the use of library facilities, services and computer equipment. Instructs patrons on the use of computer-based library catalog and computer programs.
- Promotes and educates patrons on the use of online resources such as the library catalog, inter-library loan and library databases.
- Assists patrons using their personal devices using library materials.
- Responds to reference questions using all formats available and performs reader’s advisory.
- Assists in the development of reader’s advisory tools including booklists, bibliographies and displays.
- Assists with collection maintenance including weeding and repairs.
- Assists in program planning, set-up and delivery.
- Serves on library committees as assigned.
- Follows library safety and emergency procedures.
- Reports maintenance and safety issues to supervisor and/or Facilities personnel.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Effective customer service and interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate verbally and in writing in English.
- Proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet, and database programs.
- Competent in the use of Windows-based computer programs.
- Knowledge of library policies, practices and procedures preferred.
- Knowledge of reader’s advisory and basic reference tools preferred.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Two or more years work experience in a library or education environment preferred.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
- Considerable mobility including, but not limited to, extensive periods of walking, bending, sitting, lifting weights up to 20 pounds, and pushing full book carts.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to perform general typing and computer skills.
- Calm and focused handling of interruptions and distractions.
- Periodic intense concentration and sustained viewing of a computer monitor.
Part-time; Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays 9:30-1:30 pm
$ 13.09 per hour minimum starting rate of pay
If you do not have an updated resume, you may download and print an employment application. Completed applications can be dropped off or mailed to any of our UAPL library locations.