Library Card Policies
- Your first card is free.
- A lost card can be replaced for $1.00.
- Cards are available to children under 18 years old when accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- Verification of current address is required. (You must be an Ohio resident.)
- Please inform the Library if you change your name, address or phone number, or if your card is lost.
- Please have your card with you when checking out Library materials.
- UAPL considers it the responsibility of the parent or guardian to approve the nature of materials borrowed by minors.
- You are financially responsible for all items checked out on your card until they are checked back in.
- A fine balance of $10 or more, or a billed item, will prevent any activity on your library card including checkouts and renewals.
Loan Periods / Limits / Fines / Accounts
|Item||Loan Period||Limit Per Card||Fine Per Day|
|Playaways / Books On CD||28 Days||*||10¢|
|Youth Discovery Kits||28 Days||-||10¢|
|New Books||14 Days||*||10¢|
|Nonfiction Videos / DVDs||14 Days||**||$1.00|
|Interlibrary Loan Items||14 Days||*||$1.00|
|eBooks (Digital Downloads)||7 - 21 Days||10||***|
|Fiction Videos / DVDs||5 Days||**||$1.00|
|DVD2Go||2 Days||2||$2.00 (incl. Senior Cards)|
|Books2Go||7 Days||1||$1.00 (incl. Senior Cards)|
|NOOK Readers||28 Days||1||$1.00|
|* 100 total items per card
** 10 total VHS videos plus 10 total DVDs per card
*** No late fees, files expire automatically
A fine balance of $10 or more, or a billed item, will prevent any activity on your library card including checkouts and renewals.
Fines are currently only payable in cash or by check.
The Upper Arlington Public Library offers patrons several ways to manage their accounts:
- In person by providing library card or Photo ID.
- By phone providing library card number.
- Online through “My Account” using library card number and Personal Identification Number (PIN).
Patrons are given a receipt that lists the due dates of materials when they are checked out. It is the responsibility of the patron to ensure these materials are returned on or before the date indicated. The Upper Arlington Public Library makes every effort to notify patrons when materials are overdue or fines are owed. The timeline for these notifications follows.
Timeline for notifications
|E-Mail/Text Notices||All Notices|
|1-3 days before due date: Reminder notice - to assist in returning item(s) on or before the due date.||7 days past due: Overdue notice.|
|1 day past due: Overdue notice||28 days past due: Billing notice - you are charged the cost of the item(s) past due. This includes Senior cards.|
|45 days past due: Sent to collection agency if more than $25 is owed. This includes Senior cards. A non-negotiable fee of $10 is added to your account to cover the costs of the collection service.|
Collection Agency - Unique Management Services
Unique Management Services makes several attempts by letter and by telephone to encourage patrons to return overdue materials and pay all charges due. If, after these attempts, the patron does not settle his or her account, as a last resort Unique Management will report the account to the three major national consumer reporting agencies. The timeline after an account has been assigned to the collection agency follows.
- 1-7 days: Letter sent.
- 21 days: Letter sent.
- 35-49 days: Phone contact.
- 65 days: Letter sent.
- 78-91 days: Phone contact.
- 121-150 days: Account is reported to national credit reporting agencies.
- Items are renewable up to five times, if no other patron has the item on reserve.
- Phone renewals are available. Call any library location during business hours. Have your library card number ready when you call.
- Online renewals may be made through “My Account” using library card number and Personal Identification Number (PIN). Must be made before midnight of due date to avoid late fees.
Reserves / Holds
- Many library items can be reserved by phone, in person, online, or by e-mail.
- Patrons must have a UAPL library card with updated address information and no blocks.
- The requester will be notified by phone, e-mail, or text message to pick up his/her reserve material by a specific date and at a specific UAPL location.
- When a patron fills out an interlibrary loan request card for an item not owned by UAPL, we will attempt to obtain the item from another library system.
- There is no charge for this service, unless the lending library adds extra charges. In the latter case, the patron will be contacted to confirm whether or not he or she wishes to continue with the loan.
- UAPL can not guarantee that every request will be filled.
- The loan period on interlibrary loans is normally two weeks. These items are $1.00 per day if late.
Book Drops / Returns
- Book drops are located at all three library locations.
- Book drops are open 24 hours for your convenience.
- Caution is advised when returning videos, DVDs, CDs and cassettes. (Please secure with rubber bands or put in plastic bags.)
- Materials can be returned to any Upper Arlington Public Library location.