The Winter 2014 Program Guide is out. Available for download right here or for pickup at your library.
Medicine and Health
Blekko Slashtags contain a list of websites - picked by our reference librarians - and when you search with a slashtag, you only search those sites.
This guide will help you find resources on a variety of topics related to health and medicine, including information related to drugs, fitness, diseases, alternative medicine and much more.
The following are part of the Upper Arlington Public Library's premium resources. Unless you are in one of our library locations, you will need your library card number in order to access them. Please note: Links to our databases open in a new window or tab in your browser.
Gale Virtual Reference Library: eBooks on Health and Medicine
Includes full online access to the following titles (click on the titles to access):
- Comparative Guide to American Hospitals
- Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine
- Gale Encyclopedia of Children's Health
- Gale Encyclopedia of Surgery and Medical Tests
- Nutrition and Well-Being A-Z
Consumer Health Complete
Provides a comprehensive resource for consumer-oriented health content which is designed to support patients' information needs.
This database includes an extensive and detailed healthcare directory. A custom search will allow you to narrow down physicians or dentists not only by location and specialty, but even by age, gender, medical school information, and much more.
Provides authoritative medical information on medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, health care, pre-clinical sciences, and much more. MEDLINE is a creation of the National Library of Medicine.
These are just a few titles available for use in the Reference Department of the Main Library related to Health and Medicine. Click on the links for more location information.
- Consumer Reports on Health
- Harvard Health Letter
- Harvard Heart Letter
- National Vital Statistics Report
Some current issues of the following magazine and journal titles are available for checking out, while in some cases older issues may be accessed at the Main Library's Reference Department. Follow the links to the catalog or see a librarian for more information:
- Arthritis Today
- Diabetes Forecast
- JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association
- Men's Health
- Muscle and Fitness
- Muscle and Fitness Hers
- Natural Health
- Natural Solutions (Available at Lane Road)
- New England Journal of Medicine
- Psychology Today
- Scientific American Mind
- Weight Watchers
- Women's Health (Available at Lane Road)
- Yoga Journal
These recommended websites are chosen by a Reference Librarian as reliable sources for information related to Health and Medicine.
- Best Hospitals - US News
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Cleveland Clinic Health Information Center
- Search - PubMed
- Family Doctor
- HealthInfo Translations
- Hospital Compare
- Lab Tests Online
- Merck Manuals
- National Institutes of Health - Health Information
- NCHS Data Brief - Print copy also available in Reference Department of Main Library
- NIH Senior Health
- Official AMA Home Page
- RxList - The Internet Drug Index
- The Mayo Clinic