The Spring 2014 Program Guide is out. Available for download right here or for pickup at your library.
Upper Arlington History
This guide was created to assist those searching for historical information about Upper Arlington and the surrounding areas, and it highlights the unique and varied collection of the Reference Department at the Main Library. As always, stop by or call the Reference Librarians at (614) 486-3342 if you need any assistance.
This incomparable resource is the Upper Arlington Public Library’s digital library initiative. Through the UA Archives, the library partners with local organizations and individuals to digitally preserve our community’s historical resources and make them available online. Collections in the UA Archives include:
- Norwester Yearbooks
- Norwester Magazines
- Thompson Family Archives
- Miller Family Archives
- Historical Images
- City and Village Documents
- Wall of Honor Recipients
- Historical Maps
Upper Arlington News Index
A project of the Upper Arlington Public Library's Reference Department, this index can be used to search articles published from 1988 to the final publication of the Upper Arlington News on April 18, 2012. The Reference Room of the Upper Arlington Public Library houses copies of this newspaper, as well as microfilm.
Columbus Dispatch Archives
This database includes full-text articles of The Columbus Dispatch from 1985 to the present.
More Historical Databases that may prove useful when doing research:
Proquest Historical Newspapers
For primary source documents related to major historic events outside of Upper Arlington, a good place to start is ProQuest's Historical Newspapers, where you can access full-image, historical coverage of three prestigious newspapers all from one database: New York Times (1851-2009), Wall Street Journal (1889-1995) and Washington Post (1877-1996).
Ancestry Library Edition In-Library use only
If you are looking into Upper Arlington history for genealogical information, dig even deeper with Ancestry Library Edition, available for use in the library only.
Heritage Quest Online
Another database for genealogy research, this source is available for use outside the library, and includes over 25,000 books, the entire U.S. Federal Census, PERSI, and other collections for genealogical research.
Copies of the following books on the history of Upper Arlington are always available for use in the Reference Department, and a limited number of copies are available for checkout. Follow the catalog links for availability.
Microfilm of local newspapers, available for use in the Reference Department of the Main Library:
- Upper Arlington News (September 1954 - April 2012)
- Citizen Journal (1980 - 1985)
- Columbus Dispatch (1969 - January 2013)
- Tri-Village News (1930-2012)
Current issues and some back issues of local newspapers available for use in the Reference Department, with titles including:
Some issues of these magazines are available for checkout; most older issues are held in storage in the Reference Room of the Main Library. Check the catalog links for more holding information.
- Upper Arlington and Ohio Collections -The Ohio Room houses UAPL's collection of books about Upper Arlington, Columbus and Ohio.
- OhioFile - Digital Index of major articles in local publications like Upper Arlington This Week, Columbus Monthly, Columbus CEO, Timeline and Ohio Magazine. Searchable by a Reference Librarian at the Main Library. Call or stop by for more information.
- Upper Arlington Pamphlet File - Newspaper clippings, booklets, documents, etc. related to Upper Arlington, divided into topics such as Biography, Events, Businesses, City Council, Schools, and more. Located in the Ohio Room in the lower level of the Main Library. See a Reference Librarian for assistance locating and searching in this collection.
These recommended websites are chosen by a Reference Librarian as reliable sources of information when researching the history of Upper Arlington and the surrounding area:
- UA Archives
- UA Archives Facebook page
- City of Upper Arlington
- Upper Arlington Historical Society
- Grandview Heights/Marble Cliff Historical Society
- Columbus Neighborhoods
- Columbus Memory
- Franklin County Auditor Property Search