- Picture Books Book Lists
- Butterfly Books Booklist.pdf
- Communities and Community Helpers Picture Booklist.pdf
- Construction and Building Booklist.pdf
- Cowboys & Cowgirls Picture Booklist.pdf
- Dinosaur Picture Books Booklist.pdf
- Fairies-Elves-Gnomes Booklist.pdf
- Families Picture Books Booklist.pdf
- Feelings Booklist.pdf
- Firefighter Picture Books Booklist.pdf
- First Day of School and Starting School Picture Booklist.pdf
- Five Senses Picture Booklist.pdf
- Friends Picture booklist.pdf
- Funny Picture Books Booklist.pdf
- Manners and Behavior Picture Booklist.pdf
- Monster Picture Booklist.pdf
- Multicultural Picture Book Subject List.pdf
- Native Americans Picture Book Booklist.pdf
- New Baby Picture Booklist.pdf
- Ocean Beach Seashore Booklist.pdf
- Pets Picture Book Booklist.pdf
- Princesses Picture Booklist.pdf
- Rhyming Text Picturebooks.pdf
- Scary Stories or Being Scared Booklist.pdf
- Self Picture Booklist.pdf
- Sports Picturebook Booklist.pdf
- Transportation Picture Booklist.pdf
- Wordless Books Booklist.pdf
- Zoo Booklist.pdf
- Storytime Resources
- Africa Jungle summer 2011.pdf
- Bathtime Storytime 2010.pdf
- Birthday Storytime.pdf
- Days of the Week storytime.pdf
- Mud and Dirt April 2012.pdf
- Telephones 1-24-11.pdf
- The Moon.pdf
- We Love the Earth Storytime.pdf
- Wild Animals.pdf
- Wolves Storytime.pdf
Booklists for Parents
Youth Guides & Pathfinders
Focused on a specific topic, our subject guides and pathfinders can help you discover the resources you need.
Connect with Your Librarians
Join our Youth Department's Goodreads Group: connect with your librarians and other Goodreads Group members to discuss and share book recommendations.
Parents @ UAPL Blog
Youth Department Volunteer Opportunities for Summer 2014
All three locations of the UAPL are seeking teen volunteers for this summer's “Fizz, Boom, Read” reading club.
High School Interns
The Youth Services Department at the Main Library is seeking up to five high school interns to help throughout our Summer Reading Program. Our Lane Road and Miller Park Branches are both seeking up to two high school interns for the same duties. Teens entering grades 10-12 or who graduate high school in 2014 are eligible to be an intern. The positions involve a commitment of 8-10 hours per week from June 4-August 2. Applicants will be required to apply, write an essay and be interviewed. Interns will earn service credit hours. Details can be found on the application. Applications are due by Thursday, May 1.
Students in grades 7-12 wishing to help register and award prizes at our summer reading table are encouraged to apply for a Junior Volunteer position. Tremont is seeking 50-60 junior volunteers while Lane and Miller both need 25-30. Volunteers will earn service hour credits. Details can be found on the application. Applications are due by May 19.
The Main Library is also looking for teens in grades 6-12 to help with our Book Buddies program. Teens are paired with a younger student and act as their “coach.” Applications for Book Buddies will be available Thursday, May 1 and will continue until we have enough Big Buddies. Volunteers will earn service hour credits.
Completed applications for all three positions can be dropped off at the preferred volunteer location by the stated deadlines.
Parents Online Resources
We all know being a parent is a hard job. There are many challenges for each age of your child. Here are some resources that will hopefully answer some of your questions. For additional homework help see the homework help link.
|CDC Family Health||
Great tips to help families be healthier, safer, and stronger.
|Facts for Families||
Read about emotional and behavioral issues affecting children, teenagers, and their families.
Practical guidance and specific age information on parenting.
|Hand in Hand Parenting||
Provides help and support to parents to nurture their connection with their children.
|Hoagies Gifted Resources||
The Hoagies website is “all things gifted” for parents, teachers, and kids of all ages.
|Internet Resources for Special Children||
Links to a wide variety of information on the needs of children with disabilities.
Browse articles on all aspects of children’s health for parents, kids, and health professionals.
Find games, activities, and information on Internet safety for kids, teens, and parents.
Community, articles, and stories offering parenting help in today’s world.
|Resources for Gifted Children||
View information and resources for teachers and parents of gifted children.